Thursday, August 25, 2011

Worth Every Minute

"Oh, give thanks to the LORD, for He is good!"
1 Chronicles 16:34
From the day I stopped nursing Rylan on Monday, May 2nd, his doctors, speech pathologist, and lactation consultants prepared me for the hard fact that I would probably not be able to get him to nurse again once he outgrew his dysphagia (a fancy name for the suck, swallow, breathing coordination issue). I am so proud to say that last Monday, August 15th, we started weaning Rylan off the SimplyThick and by Wednesday afternoon, he and I began reteaching ourselves how to nurse. By Friday at lunch, he had it down perfectly again! We even nursed in a mother's room at the mall under the hooter hider! From the beginning, I was pretty emotional about not being able to nurse him because it had been so easy with Kaelyn and I longed for the bonding time with Rylan. I write this post with tears of joy and thankfulness to the Lord for allowing me to have this opportunity when it seemed unthinkable. The past three months have been long and tiring at times. The pumping, bottle feeding, and bottle washing consumed much of our days at home. I even learned how to pump and drive (which sounds kind of dangerous now that I don't have to do it anymore, but a mom has to do what is necessary) I can honestly say IT WAS WORTH EVERY MINUTE to get to where we are today! I feel like I gained 3-4 hours back to my daily routine. Rylan is doing so well and I couldn't be a more proud Mommy. Thank you to our friends and family who have prayed over us and have listened to my frustrations!

"Children are a gift from the Lord." Psalm 127:3

No comments: